Dashwood Studio's super soft, extra wide, baby cords in a range of gorgeous retro prints.
100% medium weight corduroy cotton.
150cm (59") wide.
What Can I Make With This Fabric?
Our modern corduroys are not like those from the 1970s or those associated with casual trousers or jackets. The type of corduroy we stock is 100% cotton, baby/pin cord. The fabric’s drape is slightly softer than medium weight cotton and it feels super comfy next to the skin.
Cords are most often associated with dressmaking, for children and grown-ups, but can also be used in quilting, where you might want to introduce different textures, bag and zipper pouch making (with the addition of interfacing for added strength), cushions, soft toys and more!
The only real exclusions when considering what to make would be:
- Tailored trousers and jackets, as the weight of the fabric isn’t substantial enough to hold the required shapes.
- Floaty tops and dresses unless corduroy is specified as a fabric choice.
- Roman blind and curtains if you want a crisp finish (you could add interfacing to achieve this).
Preparing For Sewing
If your project is going to be regularly washed then you should pre-wash your fabric, cottons can shrink by up to 6% when first washed - that's a loss of 6cm for every mtr!
Exception to the rule...
If you are quilting and like the slightly crinkly vintage look, wait until after you have finished sewing your quilt to wash it, the fabric will shrink at a different rate to the wadding and that lovely crinkly finish will magically appear.
If you do pre-wash your fabrics, do this before your cut your pattern pieces out of your fabric, washing powder and conditioner are optional.
How to Order
I want to order one continuous piece of fabric (150cm/59" wide)Tell us if you would like to order in cms or mtrs using the options box below, then type the required length in the quantity box and add to basket.
- If you would like to order a single piece of fabric, 2mtrs long, select mtrs from the options below, put 2 in the quantity box and add to basket.
- If you would like to order a single piece of fabric 2.5mtrs long, select cms from the options below, put 250 in the quantity box and add to basket.
I want a fat quarter
If you like to work in fat quarters (pre-cut pieces of fabric 50cm x 75cm wide), select fat quarters from the options box below, let us know how many you need in the quantity box and add to basket.
Save 20% if you order 400cm or more of this fabric (order in cms and the discount will be applied automatically).
- Availability: In Stock