Jilly P's new collection for Dashwood Studio - 'Emi and the bird' tells the sweet tale of a little cat, Emi and her best friend, a small bird, the two spend their time playing in the garden. A palette of soft autumnal colours creates a playful, gentle story about an unlikely friendship.
142cm (56") wide.
What Can I Make With This Fabric?
Rayon is perfect for soft flowing garments, blouses, skirts, dresses, loose-fitting tops etc.. it has an ultra-smooth hand and delicate drape. It is perfect for warm weather, colourfast and breathable.
Whilst Rayon does have some natural stretch, it is not a fabric which will simply bounce back into its original state, for this reason, you should not use it in close fitting garments, and if you want to use it in trousers, stick to baggy patterns, with lots of ease - no one wants to end up with a saggy bottom!
It makes great bedding too, with its silky, fresh feel.
Preparing For Sewing
Prewash your fabric. Rayon can shrink by quite a bit, so it’s imperative that you do this so before you start cutting and sewing. Use a delicate setting on your washing machine and line dry or dry on a low to medium heat in a tumble dryer.
- When preparing to cut out your pattern, use lots of pins and pattern weights - this fabric is slippy!
- Use needles and pins appropriate to lightweight fabrics such as 10/70 sharps.
- Use a new needle to avoid puncturing large holes and creating snags in your fabric.
- Pin everything before sewing, even those who really resist pins when sewing with cotton, find they have to give in when sewing rayon.
- Press carefully, on a low heat and, if possible, inside out.
- Hang your nearly finished garment for 24 hours or more before hemming it. Again, with rayon’s shifting tendencies, you may find that your hem has dropped a surprising amount.
- Rayon is best cared for by washing in cold or warm water and drying on low to medium heat.
- Avoid washing with heavy items such as jeans, or pop in a delicates washing bag to protect the fibres.
How to Order
I want to order one continuous piece of fabric (142cm/56" wide)Tell us if you would like to order in cms or mtrs using the options box below, then type the required length in the quantity box and add to basket.
- If you would like to order a single piece of fabric, 2mtrs long, select mtrs from the options below, put 2 in the quantity box and add to basket.
- If you would like to order a single piece of fabric 2.5mtrs long, select cms from the options below, put 250 in the quantity box and add to basket.
I want a fat quarter
If you like to work in fat quarters (pre-cut pieces of fabric 50cm x 70cm wide), select fat quarters from the options box below, let us know how many you need in the quantity box and add to basket.
Save 20% if you order 400cm or more of this fabric (order in cms and the discount will be applied automatically).
- Availability: In Stock