Download all four parts of our guide to bias tape for free!
Our 4 part series on bias tape, covers everything you need to know to make best use of this sewing staple. Helping you produce high-quality garments, bags and home decor projects with ease.
After checking out you will be sent a link with all four parts attached:
- Part 1 – What is bias tape? Which type should you use which situation? Homemade versus shop bought.
- Part 2 - Sewing with single fold tape and how to turn single fold tape into double fold.
- Part 3 - Sewing with double fold tape and dealing with corners.
- Part 4- Making your own bias tape – both strip and continuous methods.
What is Bias Binding/Bias Tape?
Bias tape is used to cover raw edges in sewing (both visible edges and hidden ones) and to add strength to curved shapes, such as those found on necklines and around armholes. It is also used as a ribbon style trim to decorate projects, to make straps on dresses and tops, and to cover piping cord.
Look around you and you will find bias tape everywhere!
When deciding which sort of bias tape to buy ask yourself the following questions:
- Will the bias tape be visible on the front of your project, or will it be hidden on the inside/back of your project?
If your bias tape will be visible on the front of your project we recommend making your own bias tape as the ready-made tape is designed to be used in hidden areas. Ready-made tape is deliberately made of thin cotton so that it does not add weight or bulk to your makes, but you can see through the tape to the fabric underneath so it is not suitable for use on the front of your projects.
- If you are using a sewing pattern does it specify using single or double fold bias tape?
We stock single fold tape but you can easily turn it into double fold tape just fold it in half lengthways!
- How wide does your bias tape need to be?
Bias tape is measured across the front of the tape so if you are using our bias tape as single fold tape it is 25mm (1") tape. If you turn it into double fold tape by folding it in half, long edge to long edge, then the size of the tape is half that of single fold tape, 12mm (1/2") tape.
Click here to download our free, four part guide to bias tape.
- Availability: In Stock